Friday, April 15, 2011

A Taste of The Big Easy in South Carolina

Greetings from the Seafood Capital of South Carolina!
For those of you not familiar with that moniker, I’m talking about Murrells Inlet, S.C. From its humble beginnings as a fishing village in the early 1900s, the cozy community located south of glitzy Myrtle Beach is now known for its many seafood and barbecue establishments. And it’s been a favorite getaway place for me for several years.
On my visit this week, I decided to have lunch at a restaurant I’ve passed by many times but in which I had never taken time to dine: Flo’s Place, locally owned and with a lively New Orleans theme.

Because it was a perfectly beautiful, sunny day with mild temperatures (low 70s), we sat outside on the deck, with a view of Garden City across the inlet.


With zydeco music filling the air, I perused the menu, which was full of tasty bayou dishes. I chose the simple Crab Cake PoBoy, which came with fried onions and Flo’s homemade potato salad. (If you’re not familiar with the po-boy, go here.)
Why I waited so long to have a meal at Flo’s, I cannot tell you. What I can tell you, though, is that that sandwich was so delectable it’d make you want to slap your mama.
I love crab cakes. I love just about anything that can be turned into a “cake” of any sort: salmon, shrimp, potatoes, beans … if it can be mixed with bread crumbs and eggs and fried, I’ll eat it. And the crab cakes gracing this po-boy were some of the best I’ve ever had.


So tender, seasoned just right … they were as close to perfect, in my opinion, as they come.
Friendly service, delicious food, great view, perfect weather … what more could you ask for while on vacation?

No comments: