Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Movie Menu Inspiration: 'The Help'

Update added at bottom.

A couple of weeks ago, I talked about movie menu inspirations. So when I saw that Southern Living had a post called "Southern Recipes Inspired by The Help," I secretly hoped they had been reading Savor South. Who am I kidding? I know they haven't. However, I still love the idea behind this piece. They have compiled 27 of their classic recipes in a slideshow, detailing the connection each dish has to the novel/movie.


I can see already that I'm going to have to try the buttermilk biscuit recipe. I'm on a personal quest to make the perfect biscuit. Like Jason, I'm biscuit-challenged. But I'm determined not to let them best me. I will make delicious biscuits. I will make delicious biscuits. I will make delicious biscuits! And I think I'll try their recipe to see if it's the perfect combination of ingredients I've been looking for.


Another recipe on their inspiration list that jumped out at me was the Tuna Salad with Lemon Aioli . It looks yummy and delicious. Or is it just the incredible bread bowl presentation I'm drawn to? Either way, I'm going to have to try both the recipe and the bowl. Look for a similar presentation at the next party I host.


Now, if the movie has as many food references as this list leads me to believe, I'm going to have to run see it soon! My co-bloggers loved the book. So ... between their recommendation of the story and my preoccupation with biscuits exceptional character development, I'm sure to want to see the film.

UPDATE: In piddling around on Twitter today, I came across this awesome food blog called The Cooking Bride that started 'The Help' Southern Cooking Series. Check out this post where she offers a bacon pimento cheese recipe!

3 comments:

Lisa @ The Cooking Bride said...

I'm going to have to go read this article! Since the movie came out, I've become a little obsessed with reading articles about the it.

Good luck with your buttermilk biscuits!

Jenn said...

Thanks! I'll be following your series!

Jenn said...

Hey, Lisa ... I saw that you have a buttermilk biscuits recipe on your site. I'll have to try it!