Tuesday, March 22, 2011

100 Ways to Cook Southern

Here at Savor South, we love Southern Living. For me personally, it's as much a go-to guide for recipes as the Betty Crocker Cookbook was to housewives of the 1950s. If I'm looking for a new recipe--Southern or not--I always peruse the cooking section of their site first. And my scrapbook cookbook (a binder of recipes I've collected over the years) is largely comprised of recipes I've torn from their pages or printed from their site. Do yourself a favor and spend some time looking at some of their dishes. You might want to get started with this menu of recipes: 100 Ways to Cook Southern.


They have compiled a list of foods that are either quintessentially Southern or traditional with a Southern twist. Some of the recipes are region-specific (like low-country, for example), and some have South-wide appeal. Looking over it, I noticed many favorites of mine. For example, Brunswick Stew (featured in the picture above), Pimento Cheese, Buttermilk Biscuits, Grits, Po-Boys, Chicken and Dumplings, Macaroni and Cheese and shrimp anything. I really could go on and on. And I have to say, there's not a recipe on the list I wouldn't try. And a few I have tried, with marvelous results. A favorite of mine, which I often prepare for holiday parties is the Warm Turnip Green Dip.


I always get complimented on this dish; and, confidentially, I could eat the whole thing myself and never share it with anyone. But since I'm sure that would add 5 pounds to my frame right on the spot, I don't.

Another recipe of theirs I've tried that's had (almost) as equally good results is their King Ranch Casserole:


And I look forward to trying many more, such as their Cheese Straws, Beer-Batter Fried Pickles, Tomato Gravy and Coca Cola Cake.

If you'd like to spend some time drooling, please check out these recipes. They even have a recipe for making Southern Sweet Tea. Although, if you're a Southerner, you probably perfected this beverage years ago.






No comments: