Tuesday, July 19, 2011

As for Meesies, I'll Take Cheesies

Today on their Facebook page, Garden & Gun highlighted this aricle on cheese straws. Not only does it go into a little bit of history on the Southern snack, it also includes a recipe. Oh boy! I love cheese straws; and if you'll remember, I added Salem Bakery's to my Southern gift basket.


Of course, nothing beats homemade. And while the Garden & Gun version does look good, I can't help but be reminded of my Great Aunt Ruth's recipe. Although hers weren't called straws or baked in stick form (they were biscuit-like and called Cheesies) they were still the same basic creation. So, I dug out an old church cookbook, and ... lo and behold ... I found the Cheesies recipe. And because I know you'll love these, too, I'm going to share the details with you:

Cheesies

Ingredients
1 stick margine
1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 c. corn flakes

Directions
Cream margarine, add grated cheese and work in the flour to which salt has been added. Add Tabasco sauce and mix in corn flakes. Mixture will be crumbly. Form into small balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or untill dry and lightly brown. Serve with chicken salad, fruit salad or punch. Triple ingredients for a large party batch.

No comments: