Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Cure for "Cook's Block"


Since the holidays, I’ve been in something of a cooking funk. Maybe it was the gluttony of the season that did it … all I know is that for the last several weeks, few recipes have appealed to me. And even the ones that did weren’t enough to make me heed the siren call of the cook stove.

But then, last week, the February 2012 issue of Southern Living arrived. On its cover were three of my favorite words: “Classic Southern Desserts.” And inside, nestled amongst the recipes for Caramelized Banana Pudding and Tangerine Chess Pie, was Hummingbird Bundt Cake.


I love Hummingbird Cake (the original recipe, published by Southern Living in 1978, was submitted by fellow North Carolinian Mrs. L.H. Wiggins of Greensboro, N.C.), but it’s not something I’ve often had. It’s a delicacy I’ve found most frequently at church luncheons, where the best and brightest stars of the recipe box are tantalizingly displayed. This new take on Hummingbird Cake was appealing because of its simplicity; namely, being in the form of a bundt cake. (Any layer cake I’ve ever tried has been a lopsided disaster. And don’t get me started on my lack of talent with applying frosting.)

This recipe, with its simple list of ingredients, ease of preparation and quick yet delectable cream cheese glaze, will be one of my go-to recipes when an impressive yet sinfully easy dessert is called for.


And best of all, I think my case of “cook’s block” may be over.


No comments: